Occasionally it is necessary to establish legal paternity of a child born to unmarried parents. It could be that the father wants to establish that he is in fact the father. One way to do so, of course, is to make sure that the father is listed on the birth certificate or that both parties sign an Affidavit of Paternity when the child is born. If these things are not done when the child is born, then the parties must petition the court to establish legal paternity.

This process is also useful when a child is born to unmarried parents and the father will not recognize or support the child. The mother can then petition the court to establish paternity and order the payment of child support. Generally, this involves a DNA test followed by a hearing to determine custody, visitation, and child support. Call one of our Birmingham Paternity Attorneys to set up a consultation today.