Helping Magic City Families Move Forward
Birmingham Lawyers for Domestic Violence & Protection From Abuse
Representing Individuals in Birmingham, Hoover & the Counties of Shelby, Jefferson & Saint Clair
If you are involved in a domestic violence case, whether you or your children have been harmed through abuse or you have been accused of such abuse, it is imperative that you consult with a domestic violence attorney as soon as possible. At Magic City Law, LLC, we can help you understand your options and take legal action on your behalf. Alabama law gives victims of domestic violence the option of securing protective orders imposed by the courts that are designed to protect you and your children in many ways. Conversely, if you have been falsely accused of domestic abuse, you need to defend yourself in court against protective orders and other penalties that can drastically impact your life.
Connect with Magic City Law, LLC to book an appointment to speak with a Birmingham domestic violence attorney. We can be reached via our website consultation form or at (205) 509-4766.
What is Domestic Violence in Alabama?
Acts of domestic violence are those that occur between current or former spouses or intimate partners or other household members.
As a victim of actual or threatened violence, you can obtain a protection from abuse (PFA) order in cases such as those involving the following:
- Any type of physical assault, such as slapping, punching, kicking, pinching, etc.
- Physical restraint (unlawful imprisonment)
- Sexual abuse, such as rape
- Child abuse
- Harassment (including abusive physical contact, abusive language, or threats of injury)
- Reckless endangerment (putting you at risk for serious injury)
- Menacing (putting you in fear of imminent injury)
- Theft of property owned jointly or separately by you
- Criminal trespass (knowingly entering or remaining on the premises)
Protective orders can be obtained on an emergency, temporary, or more permanent basis. These orders can do the following:
- Remove the abuser from your shared residence
- Stop the abuser from further violence or threats
- Stop the abuser from harassment or stalking
- Stop the abuser from many any contact with you or your children through any means
- Keep the abuser away from your home, work, children’s school, or other specific places that you go
- Give you temporary custody of your children
- Turn over possession of a vehicle or other personal items to you
- Provide any other relief necessary to ensure your safety and that of your children
Wrongful accusations of domestic violence can be made against individuals that can seriously impact their lives, freedom, and future. These types of accusations are often false, exaggerated, based on misrepresentation, or other deceptions and are usually done to portray the accused in a negative way that works to the benefit of the accuser. These wrongful accusations can be made to gain leverage in a divorce, child custody dispute, or other matter.
If you have been falsely accused, we strongly urge you to get competent legal representation to defend yourself against the potential damage that can be done to your reputation, freedom, and future.
Learn more about how a Birmingham domestic violence attorney can protect your civil rights by contacting Magic City Law, LLC via email or at (205) 509-4766.