Helping Magic City Families Move Forward

Birmingham Paternity Lawyers

Serving Parents in Birmingham, Hoover & the Alabama Counties of Shelby, Jefferson & Saint Clair

A child born to married parents is presumed to be their biological child. When a child is born to an unmarried mother, the father has no legal parental rights unless he takes action to establish them. This can be done in various ways, depending upon the circumstances. The establishment of paternity allows the father to gain custody or visitation rights. It also obligates him to provide state-mandated child support for the child to be paid to the child’s mother. Paternity verification can be sought by either unmarried parent. 

If you are an unmarried parent in need of establishing paternity for whatever reason, Magic City Law, LLC can help. Our team of accomplished family law attorneys practice family law exclusively; this concentration gives us tremendous insight into Alabama statutes and caselaw regarding family matters as well as how the courts interpret and operate upon these laws. We also stay up to date on changing and new laws that can affect the outcome of cases. We are here to serve your needs with tenacious advocacy, knowledge, and skills developed over our many years in practice. 

Call a team member at (205) 509-4766 or contact Magic City Law, LLC online to schedule a confidential consultation with a Birmingham paternity attorney. 

Paternity Cases in Alabama

Paternity may need to be established in the following scenarios:

  • The unmarried mother seeks to be able to file for child support 
  • The unmarried father seeks to be able to play a role in the child’s life through custody/visitation arrangements
  • A married or unmarried father seeks to challenge the assumption of paternity when he believes he is not the real father; this also negates child support obligations or custody rights

The easiest way to establish paternity is for both parents to sign an Affidavit of Paternity at the time the child is born and file it with the state. This allows the father’s name to be listed on the child’s birth certificate. 

When the above has not happened, an unmarried parent can file a petition with the court. This typically involves DNA testing that either establishes or refutes the man’s paternity. A court hearing can follow to determine child custody, visitation, and child support. 

DNA testing is the gold standard for proving or disproving paternity. Our firm will ensure that your DNA testing is done by reputable labs and that any potential inaccuracies are followed up by additional testing. Once conclusive results have been made, we can then move forward in helping you address your specific concerns, whether they involve securing child support or custody and visitation rights through further court action. 

Get Reliable & Dedicated Legal Help Today

Our firm is dedicated to providing you with the highest quality of legal representation combined with close personal attention. Contact us at (205) 509-4766 to schedule your consultation with one of our Birmingham paternity attorneys today. 

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.